We’re championing our SaaStock Founder Members. The leaders and experts building the SaaS companies today that will shape the world of SaaS tomorrow. In this series, we’ll be profiling some of our SFM members who’ve been a part of the membership to help them scale their SaaS. They deserve the spotlight, so let’s get right into it.
Today’s post features Yann A. Skaalen, a SaaS Founder and SFM member.
1. Who are you and what does your SaaS do?
I’m Yann A. Skaalen, Founder & CEO at Digtective, with over 25 years of experience in digital advertising!
I founded the first version of Digtective in 1999, the company was then sold to Admeta AB in 2003 (and later sold by Admeta to WideOrbit). I then went into financing and founded Finansa AS: an intermediary for mortgages, consumer loans, car loans and credit cards. We built an in-house loan application management system with full automation and tracking, then sold the company to Zmarta Group in March 2014.
In 2016, I Co-founded MyBank with a focus on developing the marketing activities for consumer loans as well as restart loans. As part of this work, we developed several new technical solutions for integrating third parties into a bank’s front-end system, with integration into the core banking system.
2. When did you start your business?
Digtective was first launched in 1999 and later sold to Admeta AB, 4 years later. The latest version of Digtective (which we are working on right now) was launched in 2017. I have one partner, however, I am the sole day-to-day operator.
3. Why did you decide to join the SaaStock Founder Membership?
The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement. You always have something new to learn, and the best way to do that is to surround yourself with like-minded people (that are smarter than you). I love doing the same for others, and helping founders with my experience whenever I can.
4. As a SaaS founder, what’s the one challenge you are facing in your SaaS at the moment?
It took a while to focus on the right things, but we made it – now it’s just a matter of execution.
5. How are you looking to overcome this?
We brought in a COO who’s keeping us on track and making sure we’re not spread too thin in too many directions.
6. If you had a magic wand, what would you change (about your SaaS or externally) to enable faster growth?
Magically hire a team of A players.
7. What one piece of information do you wish you were privy to before starting/ founding your company?
All the available resources I have now vs back when I founded my first startup.
8. As an SFM Member, what are the key learnings you’ve gained so far to get you closer to $10MM ARR
You can’t out-market a bad product, but promotion matters a lot.
9. Finally, what do you aspire to become, personally or professionally, within the next 12 months?
Better than I am today, but someone that my team still wants to hang out with. Relationships over revenue, always.
If you are looking to achieve success all year round and be put in the spotlight, check out the SaaStock Founder Membership:
A private community of ambitious SaaS founders scaling to $10MM ARR. Get a support network of peers, connect with likeminded founders around the globe, and learn proven strategies from industry experts to help you scale up your SaaS. Apply now.